Article provided by: Awakenings Treatment Center
At Awakenings Treatment Center, we tailor our treatment for autism based on the unique need of each child. Our treatments help in reducing symptoms in children while we consistently work on improving learning and development. For appointments, get in touch with us.
Treatments for Autism
Treatment for autism differs from child to child based on each child’s individual needs. A variety of therapies are used to improve behavior, learning, and speech in your child. Some of the most effective treatment options for Autism include:
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) - Therapists use ABA techniques to eliminate negative behaviors in your child and to reinforce positive behaviors.
- Discrete trial training (DTT) - We use this training to teach simple lessons with positive reinforcement in children.
- Early intensive behavioral intervention (EIBI) - EIBI is used to reduce symptoms in children under the age of 5
- Verbal behavior intervention (VBI) - We use this to improve language skills.
- Developmental, Individual Differences and Relationship-Based Approach (DIR) - Also known as Floortime. We get on the floor with the child to indulge in activities that draw his/her interests. This approach is exceptionally useful in promoting intellectual growth in children.
Besides the above techniques, we also use occupational therapy, TEACCH, PECS, and other therapies to reduce repetitive patterns and to improve learning and development in children with Autism. Call us for more information on treatment for Autism.
Can a child with autism have a normal life?
The answer to this question largely depends on your child’s age, his response to treatments and cues, progress in learning and development, etc. Autism being a broad spectrum, your child may have a variety of symptoms that could place him anywhere on the spectrum.
While some children grow out of the repetitive behaviors and developmental delays, some other children may need support and help to overcome the symptoms for an indefinite period. The good news is that as much as 15% of autistic children fall in the high performing autism category. This means that your autistic child could have exceptional skills in math, music, logical reasoning, or other areas of learning.
It takes a proper diagnosis to fully understand your child's condition and innate abilities. Get in touch with our professional care team to schedule a consultation.
How do I know if my child is autistic?
If you notice that your child shows any of the following symptoms, it may be time to see a doctor immediately. Some of the signs of Autism include:
- Does not attain significant milestones for his/her age
- Has no speech or delay in speech
- Repetitive patterns of behavior
- Doesn’t respond to name
- Doesn’t point
- Cognitive and social impairments
- Avoids eye contact
- Gets upset to minor changes in routine activities
- Prefers isolation
- Has obsessive interests
- Resists physical contact
Your child could be anywhere on the Autism spectrum. If your child hasn't reached a milestone yet, visit Awakenings Treatment Center today for a complete analysis on your child’s condition. We offer the most affordable treatment for Autism.